For more frequently asked questions about product activation, view a PDF.
1. What is product activation?
2. What happens during product
3. Do I require an activation code
for each software seat (license)?
4. How does product activation
5. What if I use more than one
computer to do my work? How many activations are permitted per license?
6. I usually buy multiple copies
of MNJ Software software, but use just one of the CD serial numbers for all the installations.
Will this deployment method work with product activation?
7. What if I want to use the software
on a new computer?
8. I reformat my hard drive often.
What impact does activation have in this situation?
9. What common changes can trigger
the need for reactivation?
10. Does the activation process
ever send data to MNJ Software after I activate my product?
11. I use a network license server
to manage my MNJ Software software licenses. How does product activation affect
1. What is product activation?
Product activation is a software-based license management technology used by most
MNJ Software® products. It is a secure, easy process that allows users who have purchased
legitimate software licenses to run the MNJ Software software. The process verifies
that the serial number is valid and that the software has been activated only on
eligible computers. Product activation does not change the way the software works
for licensed users. It is similar to activation mechanisms previously used in MNJ Software
products but improves security and license management.
2. What happens during product activation?
Product activation takes place the first time you run your MNJ Software software. You
transmit the product serial number, a “request code,” and your registration data
to MNJ Software, where the serial number is validated and an activation code created
and returned to your computer to enable your software. Activation is quick and easy;
most users will experience it only once.
3. Do I require an activation code for each software seat (license)?
Yes. Each and every software seat (except those managed with a network license server)
requires a unique activation code regardless of how it is deployed. You cannot use
an activation code from one machine on another machine.
Please note that the activation process can be highly automated, especially if you
purchase multiseat stand-alone licenses and deploy them using the Deployment Wizard.
4. How does product activation work?
An activation request includes the product information (such as product name, serial
number, and product version number) and a request code. The request code is displayed
next to the serial number in the Register Today screen. This code identifies each
activation request and contains no other information about the product or hardware.
It consists of a machine ID and a set of values such as the type and date of the
The machine ID is a randomly computed 64-bit value, which cannot be used to identify
the make or model of your computer or any of its components. The make or model of
the computer or its components cannot be determined from the Machine ID. It simply
ensures that the software is not activated on any ineligible computers. You send
your activation request to MNJ Software through a secure Internet connection or by email.
If the request is valid, you receive an activation code and your product is immediately
available for use.
Back to Top
5. What if I use more than one computer to do my work? How many activations are
permitted per license?
MNJ Software recognizes you may sometimes need to operate the software when you are
away from your usual work location, for example, while working from home. To accommodate
this need, product activation for most MNJ Software products lets you install and activate
stand-alone software on a second computer owned or controlled by you. Note that
the software may be used by only one person and that only one of the two copies
may be used at a time. Consult your MNJ Software Software License Agreement for complete
details about using the software on a second computer.
6. I usually buy multiple copies of MNJ Software software, but use just one of the CD
serial numbers for all the installations. Will this deployment method work with
No. For these situations, MNJ Software recommends purchasing a multiseat stand-alone
license. You then receive a single CD and a single serial number good for a specified
number of licensed computers. See your reseller for details.
7. What if I want to use the software on a new computer?
If you upgrade or replace your computer, for most MNJ Software products you can simply
transfer your license using the Portable License Utility, or, in many cases, you
will be able to reactivate your software on the new computer.
8. I reformat my hard drive often. What impact does activation have in this situation?
You may need to reactivate your software license if you reformat your primary boot
disk, although reactivation can be avoided. The MNJ Software Stand-Alone Licensing Guide
(available in the help system) outlines a few simple steps that help prevent reactivation
when you reformat the hard drive.
9. What common changes can trigger the need for reactivation?
The following activities can prompt a reactivation:
- Significantly changing the primary boot disk
- Tampering with the activation services or the software license files
- Modifying the system date or time properties on a computer that has a time-limited
- Reinstalling your operating system
10. Does the activation process ever send data to MNJ Software after I activate my product?
No. No data is transmitted unless reactivation of your software license is required.
If your software license becomes invalid, reactivation will be required.
11. I use a network license server to manage my MNJ Software software licenses.
How does product activation affect my licenses?
Product activation only applies to stand-alone and multiseat stand-alone licenses
for certain MNJ Software products. Network licenses are not affected in any way by product
activation. Network licenses require a license file which you get by using the Network
License Activation utility.
Back to Top